Short Biography about the life of Quintillus
Short Biography profile and facts about one of the most famous Romans of all, in the life of Quintillus, Emperor of Rome and provinces of the Roman Empire.
- Name commonly known as: Quintillus
- Latin Roman Name: Marcus Aurelius Claudius Quintillus
- Reigned as Roman Emperor / Caesar: Exact length of his very brief reign is unknown
- Dynasty / Historical Period: Crisis of the Third Century (235 - 284) the era of Illyrian Emperors (268 - 285)
- Name of previous Emperor: His predecessor or the Emperor before Quintillus was Claudius II (Gothicus)
- Place and Date of Death: Died 270. Place of death Aquileia, far northeast Italy on the Adriatic coast
- Name of next Emperor: The successor to Quintillus was Aurelian
Interesting facts about the life of Quintillus
Obtain a fast overview of the times of the Roman Emperor Quintillus from the following facts and information about his life. Before his death, the previous emperor Claudius II is thought to have named the general Aurelian as his successor, although it was his younger brother Quintillus who became the next emperor. The death of Claudius was deeply mourned and Quintillus urged the senate to deify Claudius as "Divus Claudius Gothicus". This very act casts doubts on the rumours that his brother, Emperor Claudius II, had named Aurelian as his successor. Quintillus was a moderate and capable Emperor who was seen as a champion of the Senate. However, he was unable to make any real political impact as the Goths once again caused trouble in the Balkans and Quintillus faced a rebellion from his own army. The Roman troops refused to recognize Quintillus as the new emperor. Instead they gave General Aurelian the support of the military. Aurelian defeated Quintillus' troops and proclaimed emperor in September 270 by the legions in Sirmium. The date and circumstances surrounding the death of Quintillus remains a mystery. Some reports claim that he was killed by supporters of Aurelean whilst others state that he committed suicide.
Quintillus - Dynasties of Roman Emperors - Illyrian Emperors (268 - 285)
The Illyrian Emperors (268 - 285). The "Illyrian emperors" is the name given to the Roman emperors who governed the Roman Empire between 268 and 282. Illyria was a region in the western part of today's Balkan Peninsula. The people for Illyria were renown for their military prowess and they became an important source of manpower for the Roman army. Because of their military strength many of the emperors from this period came from Illyria.